Awards & Accreditations
2005 - 2013: HealthGrades, the nation's leading independent health rankings organization, has honored Berkshire Medical Center in several areas for exceptional care. For 2013, BMC was recognized with:
- BMC: 2013 Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence Award, placing BMC in the Top 5% of Hospitals in the US for Clinical Excellence (BMC also received the 2009 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence)
- One of HealthGrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Pulmonary Care™ in 2013
•2013 Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award™
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack for 9 Years in a Row (2005-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Recipient of the HealthGrades Critical Care Excellence Award™ for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Critical Care for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 5 in MA for Critical Care for 6 Years in a Row (2008-2013) (Ranked 4 in 2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for 5 Years in a Row (2009-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of GI Bleed in 2013
• Recipient of the HealthGrades Stroke Care Excellence Award™ for 4 Years in a Row (2010-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 10% in the Nation for Treatment of Stroke for 4 Years in a Row (2010-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 10 in MA for Treatment of Stroke for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013) (Ranked 4 in 2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Stroke for 7 Years in a Row (2007-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 10 in MA for Overall Orthopedic Services in 2013 (Ranked 6 in 2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment in 2013
• Recipient of the HealthGrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for 5 Years in a Row (2009-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 5% in the Nation for Overall Pulmonary Services for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Ranked Among the Top 10 in MA for Overall Pulmonary Services for 5 Years in a Row (2009-2013) (Ranked 4 in 2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Overall Pulmonary Services for 5 Years in a Row (2009-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for 2 Years in a Row (2012-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for 5 Years in a Row (2009-2013)
• Five-Star Recipient for Carotid Surgery in 2013
• Five-Star Recipient for Peripheral Vascular Bypass in 2013
•2013 Women's Health Excellence Award™
- BMC: 2013: Top 5% in Nation for Overall Hospital Care & Overall Medical Care. BMC was among the Top 100 Hospitals in the US for Pulmonary Care, Pneumonia Care and Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage Care, and also achieved Top 10% in Massachusetts Medical Excellence citations for Overall Hospital Care, Cancer Care, Cardiac Care and Heart Failure Treatment. For Patient Safety, BMC was ranked by CareChex among the Top 10% Nationally for Heart Failure Treatment, Hip Fracture Repair, Neurological Care, Pneumonia Care and Stroke Care..
- Fairview Hospital: 2013: Top 100 in Nation and #1 in Massachusetts for Patient Satisfaction in - Overall Hospital Care, Overall Medical Care and Overall Surgical Care. This was the second year in a row Fairview achieved these distinctions.
- 2009-2010: Top 100 Hospital Nationally - Berkshire Medical Center is ranked among the top 100 hospitals in the US, ranked #1 in Massachusetts and ranked #1 in all of New England by Data Advantage, the nation's leader in measuring healthcare value. BMC is ranked 86th out of nearly 4,500 US hospitals, and is a recipient of a Superior Quality Merit Award and Best in Value honors.
- 2012: BMC & Fairview Hospital - Named Top Performers on Key Quality Measures by The Joint Commission, the nation's leading accrediting organization for hospitals. BMC was cited as a Top Performer in Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia and Surgical Care, and Fairview was honored for Pneumonia and Surgical Care. The recognition places BMC and Fairview among the top 18% of The Joint Commission accredited hospitals that report core measurement performance data, and BMC and Fairview are two of only 10 Massachusetts hospitals recognized in 2012.
- 2007 - 2011: BMC - Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare Hospital Honor Roll, in recognition of top 25% performance in national quality rankings as reported by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid on Hospital Compare and Leapfrog patient safety measures.
- 2005 - 2011: Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration Project (HQID)- BMC is top performer in Centers for Medicare and Medicaid/Premier Project. In 2011, BMC achieved Top Performer and Attainment in Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI), Heart Failure and the Surgical Care Improvement Program (SCIP) and attainment in the treatment of Pneumonia. In the six years of the program to date, BMC has received a total of 26 awards, including nine for AMI, five for Heart Failure, four for SCIP, six for Pneumonia and two for Hip and Knee Replacement. BMC consistently participates in national quality measurement programs such as HQID, which is a voluntary program for US hospitals.
- 2009 - 2013: BMC & Fairview Hospital - Leapfrog Hospital Recognition Program for Patient Safety - In 2012, Fairview Hospital was named a Top Rural Hospital by the Leapfrog Group, one of only 11 such honors in the nation, and Berkshire Medical Center was honored with an “A” Hospital Safety Score in both 2012 and 2013 by The Leapfrog Group, an independent national nonprofit run by employers and other large purchasers of health benefits. For 2009 and 2010, BMC ranked in the top decile among hospitals in Massachusetts and across the nation for overall quality, resource use and efficiency, and scored higher than the national average in all areas for both years.
- 2008: BMC & Fairview Hospital - MassPRO Recognition - MassPRO, the federally designated healthcare quality improvement organization for the state of Massachusetts, has recognized the commitment to quality improvement at both BMC and Fairview. Both hospitals were cited by MassPRO for "exemplary commitment to quality improvement in the areas of Acute Myocardial Infarction, Heart Failure, Pneumonia and Surgical Care.
American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Recognitions
- 2001 - 2013: Berkshire Medical Center leads the nation in Get with the Guidelines honors and is one of an elite group of hospitals nationally to achieve Triple Gold honors. BMC has been recognized with 12 consecutive Gold Performance Achievement awards for outstanding performance in the care of patients with Coronary Artery Disease. BMC was also the first hospital in the United States to be honored with a Performance Achievement Award for stroke, and holds ten consecutive honors. In addition, BMC has seven consecutive yearly Performance Achievement awards for care of patients with heart failure.
- 2011 - 2013: BMC received the American College of Cardiology Foundation's NCDR ACTION Registry®-GWTG™ Gold Performance Achievement Award in 2011, 2012 and 2013. In 2013, BMC was one of only 32 hospitals nationwide to be so honored. It means BMC consistently followed the treatment guidelines in ACTION Registry®-GWTGTM for eight consecutive quarters and met a performance standard of 90% for specific performance measures to receive this 2013 award. It recognizes BMC's commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients and signifies reaching an aggressive goal of treating those patients to levels of care as outlined by the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association.
- 2006 - 2012: Fairview Hospital has achieved four consecutive years of Get with the Guidelines awards for treatment of patients with Coronary Artery Disease, including 2009 Gold Level honors, and in 2012 was honored with a Silver Quality Achievement Award for Heart Failure.
- 2007: Berkshire Medical Center's Women's Imaging Center - Breast Imaging Center of Excellence from the American College of Radiology's Commission on Quality and Safety and the Commission on Breast Imaging. Awarded only to centers that have achieved accreditation by the ACR in stereotactic breast biopsy, breast ultrasound, ultrasound-guided biopsy and mammography.
- 2009: Berkshire Medical Center's Women's Imaging Center and Fairview Hospital's Radiology Department - Facility accreditation from the International Society for Clinical Densitometry. BHS is the only bone density program in Massachusetts to have earned this accreditation and one of three in all of New England.
- BMC's Weight Loss Surgery Program is a fully accredited center of the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
- 2007: BMC - Harvard Pilgrim Bariatric Center of Excellence Designation - Harvard Pilgrim HealthCare has named the Berkshire Center for Weight Loss Surgery at BMC as a Bariatric Center of Excellence for its care of patients who need weight loss surgery.
- 2009: Berkshire Medical Center - The Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons Outstanding Achievement Award. BMC was one of only 82 cancer programs in the US so honored for 2009 and has received the award each time it has been eligible since the award's inception.
- 2010 and 2013: Berkshire Medical Center - The Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons granted the BMC Cancer Program a Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation both years.
- 2006: Berkshire Medical Center - American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award. BMC was the only hospital in Massachusetts to be so honored during 2006 for its program for patients facing cancer.
- 2005: BMC - American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Best Practices Sites: One of ten programs nationally selected as a Best Practices site during the accreditation process.
2011 - 2013: BMC has received the American College of Cardiology Foundation's NCDR ACTION Registry®-GWTGTM Gold Performance Achievement Award, one of only 32 hospitals nationwide to be so honored in 2013. It recognizes BMC's commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients and signifies reaching an aggressive goal of treating those patients to levels of care as outlined by the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association. This is a successor to the American Heart Association's Get With The Guidelines Coronary Artery Disease Gold Performance Achievement Award. As a result, BMC has now been recognized for excellence 12 years running.
2001 - 2010: BMC - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Coronary Artery Disease Performance Achievement Award. BMC is the only hospital in the nation to be honored nine years consecutively, while only BMC and UCLA Medical Center received this award from 2001 to 2005.
- 2008: American Heart Association Award for Collaborative Efforts.
BMC was presented this honor by the AHA for its collaborative work with MassPRO on Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia and the hospital's Surgical Care Improvement Project.
- 2008: American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines 2008 Mentorship Award.
Presented to BMC for promoting a multidisciplinary approach to quality improvement, demonstrating leadership and effectiveness in quality system implementation, exhibiting a willingness to promote and share the principles of Get with the Guidelines with other healthcare teams and organizations.
- 2008: American Heart Association Regional Outstanding Physician Leader - Dr. Gray Ellrodt, Chairman of Medicine, BMC. Presented to Dr. Gray Ellrodt for his dedication to quality improvement initiatives, active involvement in implementation of the hospital's related quality improvement initiatives, promotion of vascular science, leadership and active involvement in community activities and dynamic participation in advocacy efforts as related to heart disease and stroke.
- 2005 - 2012: BMC - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Sustained Performance Achievement Awards for Heart Failure. For care of patients with congestive heart failure. As of 2012, BMC has achieved seven honors in a row for Heart Failure and in 2012 received its third Gold Plus Award for Heart Failure.
- 2006 - 2012: Fairview Hospital - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Coronary Artery Disease Performance Achievement Award. Fairview achieved Gold Level honors in 2008 and 2009 for the treatment of patients with coronary artery disease, and in 2012 attained Silver Quality Achievement for Heart Failure care.
- 2006: BMC - Mass Pro Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration Project Award: For outstanding quality performance in the care of heart attack and heart failure patients. One of only three hospitals in Massachusetts to receive the honor.
- 2004: Fairview - MassPro Award for Heart Attack Care: For outstanding achievement and commitment to quality improvement for heart attack care.
2008: Berkshire Health Systems - The Berkshire Chapter of the American Red Cross has honored BHS with its Dolly Melideo Community Hero Award, for its community initiatives and its financial support for the continuation of a key Red Cross youth program.
2008: Berkshire Community College 2008 President's Award - Berkshire Community College President Dr. Paul Raverta presented the annual BCC President's Award to BHS President David Phelps for his leadership in nursing education programs in collaboration with BCC aimed at addressing the national nursing shortage
2009: Elms College of Chicopee - BHS President David Phelps was presented with an honorary degree from the Elms College for his innovative leadership in the development of a unique advanced nursing education program allowing RNs from BHS to pursue their bachelor's degree in nursing through the prestigious Elms nursing program.
- 2009: BMC - The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy has honored BMC's Endoscopy Unit with a Certificate of Recognition. BMC's Endoscopy Unit is one of only 124 units across the country to be so recognized by the ASGE in 2009.
- 2011 and 2012: Berkshire Visiting Nurse Association was named two years in a row to the HomeCare Elite™, a national ranking of the top performing home health agencies in the US.
- 2008 - 2010: Berkshire Health Systems is among the nation's Most Wired, according to the results of the 2008 Most Wired Survey and Benchmarking Study, and was awarded Most Improved in 2010.
- 2011 and 2012: BHS is named Most Wired in 2011 and 2012, recognizing its comprehensive and integrated Electronic Health Record system.
- 2003: BHS - Advance Magazine's Laboratory of the Year Award, 2nd Place - Department of Pathology and Clinical Laboratories recognized by national publication aimed at medical lab professionals.
Learning and Development
- 2013: LearningElite Award: Berkshire Health Systems was presented with a 2013 LearningElite award from Chief Learning Officer magazine. BHS was ranked 47 in a field of more than 200 companies.Developed under the guidance of chief learning officers and senior workforce development practitioners, the CLO LearningElite is the only peer-based benchmarking initiative in the industry.
Orthopaedic Care/Joint Replacement
- 2013: BMC's Joint Replacement Program has achieved Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification for Hip and Knee Replacement, recognized with a Gold Seal, signifying that it is a Center of Excellence.
- 2011: Berkshire Medical Center’s Total Joint Replacement Program has been recognized with an Aetna Institutes of Quality for Orthopaedic Surgery designation. Aetna Institutes of Quality (IOQ) Orthopedic Care facilities are healthcare facilities that are designated based on measures of clinical performance, access and efficiency for orthopedic care.
- 2012: Joint Replacement Program honored by Blue Cross/Blue Shield with Blue Distinction®, a national designation program that recognizes those facilities that demonstrate expertise in delivering quality specialty care -- safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
- 2010: Dr. Alex Sabo, Chairman of the Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Berkshire Medical Center was awarded the Outstanding Psychiatrist Award for Clinical Psychiatry by the Massachusetts Psychiatric Society and Psychiatrist of the Year by the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
- 2007: Dr. Leslie Fishbein, BMC Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science honored with the American Psychiatric Association Nancy Roeske Certificate of Excellence, recognizing her for excellence in medical education.
2009 - 2012: BMC - End Stage Renal Disease Network of New England has awarded the BMC Dialysis Unit its 5-Diamond designation as part of its 5-Diamond Patient Safety Program. BMC's Unit is one of only four in Massachusetts and among 13 in New England to achieve 5-Diamond status.
2008: The BMC Sleep Disorders Center is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The Sleep Disorders Center, based at the Hillcrest Campus of BMC, was granted a five-year accreditation, which, according to the AASM, is awarded to programs that "meet or exceed all standards for professional healthcare."
2005 - 2013: BMC - American Stroke Association Get with the Guidelines Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award. For the treatment of stroke patients. BMC was the first hospital in the nation to receive the Stroke Performance Achievement Award, and has been recognized with the honor for ten consecutive years.
2011 - 2013: BMC - Defect-Free Award from SCORE - Defect-Free Care Award each year from the Stroke Collaborative Reaching for Excellence, administered by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
- 2007: Berkshire Medical Center's Travel Medicine Clinic is named as Top US Travel Health Specialist in Conde Naste Traveler Magazine, one of only 31 programs recognized nationally.
2007 - 2010: BMC - American College of Surgeons reverifies Berkshire Medical Center's Trauma Center as a Trauma Center. Initially verified in 2005 and again in 2007 and 2010, this reverification demonstrates the hospital's ability to commit its resources to provide rapid and optimal care for seriously injured patients.
- 2007: BMC Tuberculosis Clinic receives a Service Excellence Award from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
2009 - 2010: The Berkshire Health Systems Wellness at Work program was honored with a C. Everett Koop Award Honorable Mention in 2009 and again in 2010. These awards are given annually to a select group of worksite, community, or provider programs across the nation which have soundly documented improved health and decreased medical costs.
2010: Wound Care Center of the Year - The Center for Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine at BMC was named Center of the Year by Diversified Clinical Services, the largest wound care company in the US, managing over 350 centers. The Center was selected for recognition of its heal rates, days to heal, medical leadership and overall clinical accomplishments.