Advocacy for Access helps uninsured and underinsured people access various programs that can pay for healthcare services, thereby reducing or eliminating inability to pay as a barrier to receiving health care. This program is offered by Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield and Fairview Hospital in Great Barrington.
If you live in Massachusetts, you may be able to get health insurance or help paying for your health care bills through a state program like MassHealth, the Massachusetts Health Connector, Health Safety Net, or Medical Hardship. Each program has different rules and income limits. Our staff can help you navigate the many available options. Assistance is available for individuals of all ages.
Locations & Hours of Operation
Advocacy for Access of Berkshire Medical Center
510 North Street, Suite 8
Pittsfield, MA 01201
Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 8:15am to 4pm
Thursday: 9:30am – 4pm
- Appointments are available by calling 413-445-9480
Advocacy for Access of Fairview Hospital
29 Lewis Avenue
Great Barrington, MA 01230
Monday – Friday: 8am – 4pm
- Appointments are available by calling 413-854-9616. Assistance is also provided on a first-come, first-served walk-in basis.
Language Interpretation services are available for all patients at both locations. This service is available free-of-charge.Our Services
- Assistance applying for, renewing, or resolving eligibility issues pertaining to MassHealth, ConnectorCare, Qualified Health Plans, or Health Safety Net (formerly known as Free Care) benefits
- MassHealth Disability Applications
- Premium Assistance Applications
- Medical Hardship: a program offered by Health Safety Net that allows patients to apply for relief from medical bills incurred from hospitals and community health centers within the past twelve months
- Referrals to:
- Local pharmacies that offer discounted medications
- Community Health Centers for both medical and dental services
- Other local human service agencies including: WIC, SHINE, Community Legal Aid, Department of Transitional Assistance, Berkshire Community Action Council, et al
The 2021 Open Enrollment period has ended. However, you may still be able to enroll into a Qualified Health Plan if you have experienced a qualifying life event. Contact our office to learn more. Please note that eligibility for MassHealth, Children’s Medical Security Plan, or Health Safety Net is not affected by the closure of the Open Enrollment period.
Community Enrollment Partners
- Ecu-Health Care
North Adams Campus of BMC
99 Hospital Avenue, Suite 208
North Adams, MA 01247
Ecu-Health Care is the designated outreach and enrollment site in northern Berkshire County for all of the Massachusetts health programs and they also help residents enroll into all supplemental programs associated with Medicare. Ecu-Health Care encourages Northern Berkshire residents who need assistance to call them at 413-663-8711.
- SHINE Program
Elder Services of Berkshire County, Inc.
877 South Street, Suite 4E
Pittsfield, MA 01201
The SHINE Program provides free, unbiased and up-to-date health insurance information, counseling and assistance to Medicare beneficiaries of all ages and their caregivers. SHINE counselors can help seniors (and younger disabled Medicare beneficiaries) understand their Medicare benefits and other health insurance options. SHINE counselors are available to meet with you in person or by telephone. To schedule an appointment, please call 800-243-4636. Press 3 or press 5 if calling from cell phone to be connected with your local SHINE counselor.