When & How to Refer
It is appropriate to refer a patient to the BMC CERC when:
- Post-concussion symptoms last more than 4-7 days
- Patient had on-field dizziness or “fogginess” lasting more than 2 days
- Symptoms are getting worse each day
- Symptoms are so severe that they interfere with normal daily activities
- Athlete reports no symptoms, but is unable to return to previous level of school or sports performance
- The patient has suffered multiple concussions in a brief timeframe (within previous year)
- The patient has a history of multiple concussions in the past
- Presence of personal factors that may complicate or prolong recovery (e.g., pre-existing mood disorder, learning difficulties, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, personal or family history of migraine)
- The patient is under the age of 22
All patients, regardless of where they are initially evaluated, will be referred to the clinic by their primary care provider.
To refer patients, please fax the Clinic Referral Form to the clinic at 413-447-2208.