Awards & Accreditations
2005 - 2016: HealthGrades, the nation's leading independent health rankings organization, has honored Berkshire Medical Center in several areas for exceptional care. BMC has been recognized with:
- 2016 America's 100 Best Hospitals,
putting BMC among the best 100 hospitals in the nation, out of over 4,000 hospitals
- 2016 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence, ranking BMC among the Top 5% of Hospitals in the Nation for Clinical Excellence - fourth year in a row and fifth time overall
- 2015 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence,ranking BMC among the Top 5% of Hospitals in the Nation for Clinical Excellence - the third year in a row and fourth time since 2009 that BMC has earned this honor.
- 2014 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence, ranking B
MC among the Top 5% of Hospitals in the Nation for Clinical Excellence - the second year in a row and third time since 2009 that BMC has earned this honor
- 2013 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence, placing BMC in the Top 5% of Hospitals in the US for Clinical Excellence (BMC also received the 2009 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence)
BMC has also earned recognition from Healthgrades for:
- One of America's 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement - 2015 & 2016
- Joint Replacement Excellence Award - 2015 & 2016
- Pulmonary Care Excellence Award - 2016 - 8th year in a row
- Critical Care Excellence Award - 2015 - 4th year in a row
- Women's Health Excellence Award - 2014 & 2015
- One of America's 100 Best Hospitals for Pulmonary Care - 2014 - 2nd year in a row
- Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award - 2013
- 2016 Healthgrades 5-Star Rankings for BMC
- Sepsis - 8 years in a row
- Respiratory Failure - 5 years in a row
- Treatment of Diabetic Emergencies
- Total Knee Replacement - 3 years in a row
- Total Hip Replacement - 2 years in a row
- Hip Fracture Treatment - 4 years in a row
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - 5 years in a row
- Pneumonia - 8 years in a row
Fairview Hospital Healthgrades Recognition
In 2016, Fairview honored with both the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award, ranking it among the Top 10% of Hospitals for patient satisfaction, and the Patient Safety Excellence Award, ranking Fairview in the Top 10% of Hospitals for patient safety. Fairview was also honored in 2013, 2014 and 2015 with the Outstanding Patient Experience honor.
Truven 100 Top Hospitals
2014: Berkshire Medical Center was named a 100 Top Hospital by Truven Health Analytics, a leading provider of information and solutions to improve the cost and quality of healthcare. BMC is one of only five hospitals so honored in the entire Northeast, and one of two Massachusetts hospitals recognized in the Teaching Hospitals category.
2015 CareChex Recognitions
Berkshire Medical Center - Medical Excellence Awards
- Top 100 in the Nation and #1 in Massachusetts for Overall Hospital Care
- Top 10% in the Nation and in Massachusetts for Overall Medical Care
- Top 100 in the Nation for Overall Surgical Care
- Top 100 in the Nation for Cancer Care
- Ranked #2 in Massachusetts for Cancer Care
- 2009-2010: Top 100 Hospital Nationally - Berkshire Medical Center is ranked among the top 100 hospitals in the US, ranked #1 in Massachusetts and ranked #1 in all of New England by Data Advantage, the nation's leader in measuring healthcare value. BMC is ranked 86th out of nearly 4,500 US hospitals, and is a recipient of a Superior Quality Merit Award and Best in Value honors.
- 2014: Outpatient Surgery Magazine has named the Crane Center for Ambulatory Surgery at BMC as the recipient of the 2014 OR Excellence for Patient Safety award. The Crane Center was cited for its comprehensive team approach to patient safety.
- 2012 - 2014: BMC & Fairview Hospital - Named Top Performers on Key Quality Measures by The Joint Commission, the nation's leading accrediting organization for hospitals, three years in a row. BMC was cited as a Top Performer in Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia and Surgical Care, and Fairview was honored for Pneumonia and Surgical Care.
- 2007 - 2013: BMC - Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare Hospital Honor Roll, in recognition of top 25% performance in national quality rankings as reported by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid on Hospital Compare and Leapfrog patient safety measures.
- 2005 - 2011: Hospital Quality Incentive DemonstrationProject (HQID)- BMC is top performer in Centers for Medicare and Medicaid/Premier Project. In 2011, BMC achieved Top Performer and Attainment in Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI), Heart Failure and the Surgical Care Improvement Program (SCIP) and attainment in the treatment of Pneumonia. In the six years of the program to date, BMC has received a total of 26 awards, including nine for AMI, five for Heart Failure, four for SCIP, six for Pneumonia and two for Hip and Knee Replacement. BMC consistently participates in national quality measurement programs such as HQID, which is a voluntary program for US hospitals.
- 2009 - 2015: BMC & Fairview Hospital- Leapfrog Hospital Recognition Program for Patient Safety - In 2012, 2013 and 2014, Fairview Hospital was named a Top Rural Hospital by the Leapfrog Group, and Berkshire Medical Center was honored with a Straight“A” Hospital Safety Score each period from 2012 to 2015 by The Leapfrog Group, an independent national nonprofit run by employers and other large purchasers of health benefits. BMC is one of only 182 hospitals nationwide to achieve Straight A grades since the inception of the grading program.
- 2008:BMC & Fairview Hospital - MassPRO Recognition - MassPRO, the federally designated healthcare quality improvement organization for the state of Massachusetts, has recognized the commitment to quality improvement at both BMC and Fairview. Both hospitals were cited by MassPRO for "exemplary commitment to quality improvement in the areas of Acute Myocardial Infarction, Heart Failure, Pneumonia and Surgical Care.
American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Recognitions
- 2001 - 2014:Berkshire Medical Center leads the nation in Get with the Guidelines honors and is one of an elite group of hospitals nationally to achieve Triple Gold honors. BMC has been recognized with 12 consecutive Gold Performance Achievement awards for outstanding performance in the care of patients with Coronary Artery Disease. BMC was also the first hospital in the United States to be honored with a Performance Achievement Award for stroke, and holds ten consecutive honors. In addition, BMC has eight consecutive yearly Performance Achievement awards for care of patients with heart failure.
- 2014: BMC received the Get With the Guidelines Resuscitation Silver Quality Achievement Award for implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association for the treatment of patients who suffer cardiac arrests in the hospital.
- 2011 - 2013: BMC received the American College of Cardiology Foundation's NCDR ACTION Registry®-GWTG™ Gold Performance Achievement Award in2011, 2012 and 2013. In 2013, BMC was one of only 32 hospitals nationwide to be so honored. It means BMC consistently followed the treatment guidelines in ACTION Registry®-GWTGTM for eight consecutive quarters and met a performance standard of 90% for specific performance measures to receive this 2013 award. It recognizes BMC's commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients and signifies reaching an aggressive goal of treating those patients to levels of care as outlined by the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association.
- 2006 - 2012: Fairview Hospital has achievedfour consecutive years of Get with the Guidelines awards for treatment of patients with Coronary Artery Disease, including 2009 Gold Level honors, and in 2012 was honored with a Silver Quality Achievement Award for Heart Failure.
- 2007: Berkshire Medical Center's Women's Imaging Center - Breast Imaging Center of Excellence from the American College of Radiology's Commission on Quality and Safety and the Commission on Breast Imaging. Awarded only to centers that have achieved accreditation by the ACR in stereotactic breast biopsy, breast ultrasound, ultrasound-guided biopsy and mammography.
- 2009: Berkshire Medical Center's Women's Imaging Center and Fairview Hospital's Radiology Department - Facility accreditation from the International Society for Clinical Densitometry. BHS is the only bone density program in Massachusetts to have earned this accreditation and one of three in all of New England.
- BMC's Weight Loss Surgery Program is a fully accredited center of the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
- 2007: BMC - Harvard Pilgrim Bariatric Center of Excellence Designation - Harvard Pilgrim HealthCare has named the Berkshire Center for Weight Loss Surgery at BMC as a Bariatric Center of Excellence for its care of patients who need weight loss surgery.
- 2009: Berkshire Medical Center - The Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons Outstanding Achievement Award. BMC was one of only 82 cancer programs in the US so honored for 2009 and has received the award each time it has been eligible since the award's inception.
- 2010 and 2013: Berkshire Medical Center - The Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons granted the BMC Cancer Program a Three-Year Accreditation with Commendation both years.
- 2006: Berkshire Medical Center - American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award. BMC was the only hospital in Massachusetts to be so honored during 2006 for its program for patients facing cancer.
- 2005: BMC - American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Best Practices Sites: One of ten programs nationally selected as a Best Practices site during the accreditation process.
2011 - 2013: BMC has received the American College of Cardiology Foundation's NCDR ACTION Registry®-GWTGTM Gold Performance Achievement Award, one of only 32 hospitals nationwide to be so honored in 2013. It recognizes BMC's commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients and signifies reaching an aggressive goal of treating those patients to levels of care as outlined by the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association. This is a successor to the American Heart Association's Get With The Guidelines Coronary Artery Disease Gold Performance Achievement Award. As a result, BMC has now been recognized for excellence 12 years running.
2001 - 2010: BMC - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Coronary Artery Disease Performance Achievement Award. BMC is the only hospital in the nation to be honorednine years consecutively, while only BMC and UCLA Medical Center received this award from 2001 to 2005.
- 2008:American Heart Association Award for Collaborative Efforts.
BMC was presented this honor by the AHA for its collaborative work with MassPRO on Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia and the hospital's Surgical Care Improvement Project.
- 2008: American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines 2008 Mentorship Award.
Presented to BMC for promoting a multidisciplinary approach to quality improvement, demonstrating leadership and effectiveness in quality system implementation, exhibiting a willingness to promote and share the principles of Get with the Guidelines with other healthcare teams and organizations.
- 2008: American Heart Association Regional Outstanding Physician Leader - Dr. Gray Ellrodt, Chairman of Medicine, BMC. Presented to Dr. Gray Ellrodt for his dedication to quality improvement initiatives, active involvement in implementation of the hospital's related quality improvement initiatives, promotion of vascular science, leadership and active involvement in community activities and dynamic participation in advocacy efforts as related to heart disease and stroke.
- 2005 - 2012: BMC - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Sustained Performance Achievement Awards for Heart Failure. For care of patients with congestive heart failure. As of 2012, BMC has achieved seven honors in a row for Heart Failure and in 2012 received its third Gold Plus Award for Heart Failure.
- 2006 - 2012: Fairview Hospital - American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines Coronary Artery Disease Performance Achievement Award. Fairview achieved Gold Level honors in 2008 and 2009 for the treatment of patients with coronary artery disease, and in 2012 attained Silver Quality Achievement for Heart Failure care.
- 2006: BMC - Mass Pro Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration Project Award: For outstanding quality performance in the care of heart attack and heart failure patients. One of only three hospitals in Massachusetts to receive the honor.
- 2004: Fairview - MassPro Award for Heart Attack Care: For outstanding achievement and commitment to quality improvement for heart attack care.
- 2014:1Berkshire, the County's Regional Economic Development Organization, has named Berkshire Health Systems as the 2014 honoree for Putting the Berkshires on the Map in recognition of the substantial contribution BHS is making to the overall image of the Berkshires.
2008: Berkshire Health Systems - The Berkshire Chapter of the American Red Cross has honored BHS with its Dolly Melideo Community Hero Award, for its community initiatives and its financial support for the continuation of a key Red Cross youth program.
2008: Berkshire Community College 2008 President's Award - Berkshire Community College President Dr. Paul Raverta presented the annual BCC President's Award to BHS President David Phelps for his leadership in nursing education programs in collaboration with BCC aimed at addressing the national nursing shortage
2009: Elms College of Chicopee - BHS President David Phelps was presented with an honorary degree from the Elms College for his innovative leadership in the development of a unique advanced nursing education program allowing RNs from BHS to pursue their bachelor's degree in nursing through the prestigious Elms nursing program.
- 2009: BMC - The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy has honored BMC's Endoscopy Unit with a Certificate of Recognition. BMC's Endoscopy Unit is one of only 124 units across the country to be so recognized by the ASGE in 2009.
- 2011 - 2013: Berkshire Visiting Nurse Association was named three years in a rowto the HomeCare Elite™, a national ranking of the top performing home health agencies in the US.
- 2008 - 2010: Berkshire Health Systems is among the nation's Most Wired, according to the results of the 2008 Most Wired Survey and Benchmarking Study, and was awarded Most Improved in 2010.
- 2011 - 2013: BHS is named Most Wired in2011, 2012 and 2013, recognizing its comprehensive and integrated Electronic Health Record system.
- 2014: BMC and Fairview have achieved Stage 6 designation of the HIMSS Analytics Hospital Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model, which honors implementation of technology that can improve patient safety and quality of care. BMC and Fairview are among only 10.5% of hospitals nationally to have achieved Stage 6.
- 2003: BHS - Advance Magazine's Laboratory of the Year Award, 2nd Place - Department of Pathology and Clinical Laboratories recognized by national publication aimed at medical lab professionals.
Learning and Development
- 2013 - 2014: LearningElite Award: Berkshire Health Systems was presented with a 2014 and 2013 LearningElite award from Chief Learning Officer magazine. In 2014, BHS was ranked 37 in a field of more than 200 companies.Developed under the guidance of chief learning officers and senior workforce development practitioners, the CLO LearningElite is the only peer-based benchmarking initiative in the industry.
Orthopaedic Care/Joint Replacement
- 2013: BMC's Joint Replacement Program has achieved Joint Commission Disease Specific Certification for Hip and Knee Replacement, recognized with a Gold Seal, signifying that it is a Center of Excellence.
- 2011: Berkshire Medical Center's Total Joint Replacement Program has been recognized with an Aetna Institutes of Quality for Orthopaedic Surgery designation. Aetna Institutes of Quality (IOQ) Orthopedic Care facilities are healthcare facilities that are designated based on measures of clinical performance, access and efficiency for orthopedic care.
- 2012: Joint Replacement Program honored by Blue Cross/Blue Shield with Blue Distinction®, a national designation program that recognizes those facilities that demonstrate expertise in delivering quality specialty care -- safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
- 2010: Dr. Alex Sabo, Chairman of the Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Berkshire Medical Center was awarded the Outstanding Psychiatrist Award for Clinical Psychiatry by the Massachusetts Psychiatric Society and Psychiatrist of the Year by the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
- 2007: Dr. Leslie Fishbein, BMC Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science honored with the American Psychiatric Association Nancy Roeske Certificate of Excellence, recognizing her for excellence in medical education.
2009 - 2013: BMC - End Stage Renal Disease Network of New England has awarded the BMC Dialysis Centers its 5-Diamond designation as part of its 5-Diamond Patient Safety Program. BMC's Units, in both Pittsfield and Great Barrington have achieved 5-Diamond status.
2008: The BMC Sleep Disorders Center is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. The Sleep Disorders Center, based at the Hillcrest Campus of BMC, was granted a five-year accreditation, which, according to the AASM, is awarded to programs that "meet or exceed all standards for professional healthcare."
2005 - 2013: BMC - American Stroke Association Get with the Guidelines Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award. For the treatment of stroke patients. BMC was the first hospital in the nation to receive the Stroke Performance Achievement Award, and has been recognized with the honor for ten consecutive years.
2011 - 2015: BMC - Defect-Free Award from SCORE - Defect-Free Care Award each year from the Stroke Collaborative Reaching for Excellence, administered by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
- 2007: Berkshire Medical Center's Travel Medicine Clinic is named as Top US Travel Health Specialist in Conde Naste Traveler Magazine, one of only 31 programs recognized nationally.
2007 - 2010: BMC - American College of Surgeons reverifies Berkshire Medical Center's Trauma Center as aTrauma Center. Initially verified in 2005 and again in 2007 and 2010, this reverification demonstrates the hospital's ability to commit its resources to provide rapid and optimal care for seriously injured patients.
- 2007: BMC Tuberculosis Clinic receives a Service Excellence Award from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.
2015:Berkshire Health Systems recognized by American Heart Association with Gold Fit-Friendly Worksite award for its commitment to providing a healthy workplace for employees.
- 2009 - 2013: The Berkshire Health Systems Wellness at Work program was honored with a C. Everett Koop Award Honorable Mention in 2009, 2010, and in 2013. These awards are given annually to a select group of worksite, community, or provider programs across the nation which have soundly documented improved health and drecreased medical costs.
2010: Wound Care Center of the Year - The Center for Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine at BMC was named Center of the Year by Diversified Clinical Services, the largest wound care company in the US, managing over 350 centers. The Center was selected for recognition of its heal rates, days to heal, medical leadership and overall clinical accomplishments.