As an institution, we have great interest in not only individual patient care but also furthering the science of medicine on a global level. We strongly support research efforts amongst our residents and faculty. Every year, BMC hosts a Resident Research Forum in which all residents can present their work to the hospital faculty as a whole. This forum includes research work from all residency programs at our medical center, with awards granted to the top performers.
In addition, our surgical residents are strongly encouraged to present research at local, regional, and national meetings, such as:
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES)
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST)
- New England Surgical Society (NESS)
- American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- American College of Osteopathic Surgeons (FACOS)
- Society of Surgical Oncology (SSO)
This current academic year, two of our residents' scholarly work was accepted and presented at the New England Surgical Society at their annual meeting in September 2015.
We are also in the process of implementing a monthly surgical research forum for residents and faculty in order to encourage greater and ongoing participation in research and scholarly activity.