da Vinci Urologic Prostate Surgery
da Vinci Prostatectomy is the #1 choice for treatment of localized prostate cancer in the United States, according to national studies, and is rapidly being chosen by more men, as well as their doctors, worldwide. da Vinci Prostatectomy is a minimally invasive, robotic-assisted surgical procedure that removes the cancerous prostate gland and related structures.
Stephen St. Clair, MD, a Urologist with Urology Services of the Berkshires and BMC Urology Division Chief, leads BMC's Urologic Surgery program utilizing the da Vinci Surgical System along with Jonah Marshall, MD, a Urologist extensively trained in the use of the da Vinci System.
The potential benefits of the da Vinci Prostatectomy are:
- Effective Cancer Control: Studies have shown that experienced surgeons have achieved excellent results in removing prostate cancer without leaving cancer cells behind.
- Improved and Early Return of Sexual Function: Studies have shown that most patients have a rapid return of sexual function.
- Improved and Early Return of Continence: Studies have shown that most patients have a rapid return of urinary continence.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery: The da Vinci System enables surgeons to perform even the most complex and delicate procedures through very small incisions with unmatched precision.
Additional patient benefits may include:
* Significantly less pain
* Less blood loss
* Less scarring
* Shorter recovery time
* A faster return to normal daily activities
At BMC, our Urologic surgeons perform the following prostate procedures:
- Radical Prostatectomy
- Nerve-sparing Radical Prostatectomy
- Suprapubic Prostatectomy (for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH)