Pre-Admission Guide for Endoscopy Patients
Appointments for endoscopy are scheduled by the patient’s physician, who will contact the Endoscopy Department at BMC to discuss each patient’s needs. Your physician will also talk with you about preparing for the procedure.
Follow your doctor’s orders for preparation for your endoscopy procedure. In particular, please note the following requirements:
- You must bring a driver with you to drive you home after the procedure.
- You will not be allowed to drive yourself home or take a taxi without a sponsor to accompany you.
- Your sponsor must be readily available at the time of discharge.
- If a sponsor is not available, the procedure will be cancelled.
On the day of your procedure, please report to the Admitting Office near the first-floor lobby of Berkshire Medical Center one hour before your procedure is scheduled to begin.
Please bring the following with you:
- A completed Patient Medical History/Nursing Assessment form
- Your Social Security number
- Current Insurance Identification card
On the day of your procedure, a financial coordinator will be available to assist you with any insurance questions.
You will next report to the Endosccopy Unit on the third floor west wing of BMC. A nurse will review your medical history with you, prepare you for your procedure and answer any questions you may have. Please provide your nurse with a list of all your medications – including any vitamins or herbal supplements – and the last time that any were taken prior to your endoscopic procedure.
Your comfort is very important to us. Please inform the nurse caring for you of any discomfort before, during or after the procedure. We are committed to providing each patient with the highest level of care.