Pittsfield General/St. Luke's Merger
The former St. Luke's Hospital opened in 1916, when Bishop Thomas D. Beaven purchased two homes on Springside Avenue and remodeled them turning them into a 22-bed Boylan Memorial Hospital. The larger house was used for patient care and the smaller one was a convent for the Sisters of Providence. A new building was opened at 379 East St. on May 1, 1926.
In 1968, Pittsfield General Hospital merged with St. Luke's Hospital, forming Berkshire Medical Center. In honor of the former St. Luke's Hospital, the newest wing of Berkshire Medical Center, constructed after the merger, was named the St. Luke's Pavilion.