Dept. of Medicine at Fairview Hospital
Small community hospitals are increasingly recognized as institutions capable of offering the highest quality of care. They are also recognized as essential links in local and regional networks of healthcare.
Fairview Hospital's Medical Staff, through its surgery and medicine departments, takes a leading role in achieving clinical excellence in the services it offers, and has developed innovative processes and collaborations which have received state and federal recognition. In addition, Fairview Hospital, together with Berkshire Health Systems, has attracted new physicians to the area, added new technologies and developed partnerships that make access to diagnostic and therapeutic modalities and specialists available to the Southern Berkshire community.
Under the leadership of Brian Burke, MD, President of the Medical Staff of Fairview Hospital, South County physicians collaborate in providing health care across a continuum from out-patient to in-patient settings, with a commitment to quality performance in a patient-friendly environment.
Among its services and accomplishments, Fairview's Medical Staff has:
- Organized its in-patient services around the 24 hour availability of hospitalists - specialty physicians trained, experienced and dedicated specifically to care for patients requiring hospital admission.
- Added, through the assistance of Berkshire Health System, skilled on-site, full-time cardiologists with state-of-the-art technology.
- Achieved national awards in cardiac care.
- Followed the lead of tertiary medical centers in establishing a Simulation Laboratory to assist in continuing education, not only for technical skills, but cognitive skills as well, such as communication and team training. We have received praise from the Massachusetts Dept. of Public Health indicating that Fairview Hospital is at the forefront of regional small community hospitals.
- Developed a Critical Action Team, trained to respond immediately and early to changes in patient condition. Such teams have been shown nationally to reduce adverse hospital outcomes.
- Organized Multidisciplinary Rounds comprised of healthcare teams collaborating to comprehensively discuss patient needs.
- Developed a well trained Stroke Team which has far out-performed the Massachusetts average in responding to this devastating disease.
- Developed an aggressive team approach to Sepsis, a common and serious overwhelming infectious process. Fairview's results have been recognized and complimented by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine.