As part of the Admitting process, the BMC Access Services Department collects and verifies registration data from patients for the purposes of patient identification and patient billing.
Forms required for Admission and other important information are listed in the Featured Links box to your left on this page. Click on the links to view and/or print the forms and information.
About Access Services
Access Services support a variety of customers including: patients (inpatient and outpatient) and families, physicians/physician companies, third party payers, ancillary departments (providing inpatient and outpatient services), patient support departments (Case Management, Medical Records, etc.), the Patient Accounting Department, other BHS entities, funeral directors/ambulance companies, and the general public.
- Access Services obtains Financial and General Medical Consents, including the Involvement in Care forms.
- We assure that patients receive all required state and federal governmental required information including HIPAA Notices of Privacy Practice, Advanced Directives Law, important information from Medicare, and Patient Rights and Responsibilities.
- We facilitate intake and access to inpatient and outpatient services and coordinate the bed placement function with Nursing Administration.
- We also coordinate ambulance transport arrangements and release of deceased to funeral homes.
- We provide financial counseling and have the ability to complete MassHealth applications for patients electronically using the Virtual Gateway, both on the Main Campus and at the Neighborhood Health Center at 510 North Street.
- We are responsible for assuring that pre-authorizations are obtained for selected pre-scheduled elective services and that admission notification requirements are met for all contracted payers.
- We perform cashier services including storage of patient valuables in the safe.
Our department is primarily located in Main Admitting and the Emergency Department, but we also have satellites at the Crane Center, Main Radiology, Hillcrest Outpatient Registration and the Medical Arts Complex Outpatient Registration. We function on a 24-hour/7-day a week schedule.
To reach Main Admitting, call 413-447-2851.
Access Services Department
Berkshire Medical Center
725 North Street
Pittsfield, MA 01201
Jeni Slattery, the Director of the Access Services Department can be reached at 413-447-2305.