Advocacy for Access at BMC
Advocacy for Access helps uninsured and underinsured people access various programs that can pay for healthcare services, thereby reducing or eliminating inability to pay as a barrier to receiving health care. We are a program offered by Berkshire Medical Center.
If you live in Massachusetts, you may be able to get health insurance or help paying your health care bills through a state program like MassHealth, the Health Connector, Health Safety Net, or Medical Hardship. Each program has different rules and income limits. Our staff can help you navigate the many available options. Assistance is available for individuals of all ages.
510 North Street, Suite 8
Pittsfield, MA 01201
(the side of the building that faces A-Mart)
- Assistance applying for, renewing, or resolving eligibility issues pertaining to MassHealth, ConnectorCare, Qualified Health Plans, or Health Safety Net (formerly known as free care) benefits
- MassHealth Disability Applications
- Premium Assistance Applications
- Medical Hardship: a program offered by Health Safety Net that allows patients to apply for relief from medical bills incurred from hospitals and community health centers within the past twelve months
- Referrals to:
- Local pharmacies that offer discount medications
- Community Health Centers for both medical and dental services
- Other local human service agencies such as WIC, SHINE, Western Mass Legal Services, Department of Transitional Assistance
- Education and application assistance for individuals in need of long term care services, provided at home or in a skilled nursing facility. This benefit is provided free of charge by a local attorney we have partnered with
Open Enrollment: The 2017 Open Enrollment period began November 1, 2016 and runs through January 31, 2017. During this time, you can enroll into a Qualifed Health Plan, or change your existing one, without a qualifying life event. Contact our office to learn more.
We have appointments available Monday through Friday between 8AM and 3PM. To schedule an appointment, please call (413) 445-9480. Due to the complexity and length of the application process, we cannot accommodate non-emergent walk-ins.
Community Enrollment Partners
- Ecu-Health Care
North Adams Campus of BMC
99 Hospital Avenue, Suite 208
North Adams, MA 01247
Ecu-Health Care is the designated outreach and enrollment site in northern Berkshire County for all of the Massachusetts health programs and they also help residents enroll into all supplemental programs associated with Medicare. Ecu-Health Care encourages Northern Berkshire residents who need assistance to call them at (413) 663-8711.
- SHINE Program
Elder Services of Berkshire County, Inc.
877 South Street, Suite 4E
Pittsfield, MA 01201
The SHINE Program provides free, unbiased and up-to-date health insurance information, counseling and assistance to Medicare beneficiaries of all ages and their caregivers. SHINE counselors can help seniors (and younger disabled Medicare beneficiaries) understand their Medicare benefits and other health insurance options. To make an appointment to speak with a SHINE counselor contact your local Council on Aging or call 413-499-0524 or 1-800-544-5242, and ask for the SHINE Program.